A simple organic compound containing both a carboxyl and an amino group. Aminos are the building blocks for proteins.
1. Description: Choline is an amino acid that is a member of the b-complex family and works as a fat emulsifier. Choline forms cell membranes and aids in communication between neurons. Choline works with inositol to utilize fats and cholesterol. It is one of the few substances able to penetrate the blood brain barrier, causing it to help with increasing the production of chemicals that aid in memory.
2. Benefits: It helps control cholesterol buildup. Choline can also help in sending nerve impulses, specifically those in the brain to improve memory. It can also be used in the treatment of Alzheimer’s.
3. Fun Fact: Looking for that perfect way to detox your liver? Increase your choline! Choline helps eliminate poisons and drugs from your body by aiding the liver, specifically by synthesizing the neurotransmitter, acetylcholine.
1. Description: Carnitine is a potentially life extending amino acid that is biosynthesized with Lysine and Methionine. It’s primary job is to provide heart and skeletal cells with energy.
2. Benefits: Carnitine can help in the treatment of heart disease, reduce angina attacks, and aid in the control of hypoglycemia. It can also help slow the progression of Alzheimer’s. It plays an important role in converting stored body fat into energy. Carnitine has also been found to help with male infertility. Increasing your carnitine intake while pregnant can also help minimize the occurrence of gestational diabetes.
3. Fun Fact: Feeling lethargic mid-workout? Increase your carnitine intake to enable longer periods of intense workouts
1. Description: An essential amino acid and antioxidant that helps in the breakdown of fats. It helps protect the body from toxic substances, as well as free radicals.
2. Benefits: Methionine has been known to help lower histamine levels in the blood. When these levels are high, it can cause the brain to relay the wrong messages, for example in depression and schizophrenia. When it is combined with choline and folic acid, it offers protection against certain tumors. It also promotes the excretion of estrogen, which is helpful for pre/postmenopausal women, or women on oral contraceptives.
3. Fun Fact: Recently told to watch your cholesterol? Notice hair loss? Retaining excess fluid? Methionine deficiencies link to all of these things!
1. Description: A lipotropic member of the b complex family that metabolizes fats and cholesterols. It is especially important for nourishing brain cells.
2. Benefits: Inositol helps lower cholesterol levels, promotes healthy hair and combats hair loss, and can help in preventing eczema. Inositol aids in the redistribution of body fat. It can also be used to help produce a calming effect.
3. Fun Fact: A good way to maximize the efficacy of vitamin E is to increase your intake of inositol. This can help keep you looking and feeling younger.
1. Description: Arginine is an amino acid that is necessary for the normal function of the pituitary gland. It can improve the immune response by stimulating the thymus gland, where disease fighting t-cells are stored.
2. Benefits: Arginine can increase our t-cells, which trigger the production of natural killer cells that can aid in the body’s defense against cancer. It can stimulate the release of human growth hormone. Arginine aids in the immune response and helps heal wounds. It also helps metabolize stored body fat and tones up muscle tissue. Arginine also promotes physical and mental awareness.
3. Fun Fact: Men, having some sexual dysfunction? Arginine has been used to enhance sexual performance by increasing blood flow to erections, as well as increase sperm count.
1. Lysine is an amino acid that is vital in the makeup of critical body proteins. It is needed for growth, tissue repair, and the production of antibodies, hormones, and enzymes.
2. Benefits: Lysine is used mostly in the treatment and prevention of outbreaks for the herpes simplex virus. It also promotes better concentration. Lysine can properly utilize fatty acids needed for energy production. It can also help with fertility.
3. Fun Fact: Lysine aids in the absorption of calcium, thus helping prevent and treat osteoporosis.